Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sunday (11/23/08) Wrap-Up

Ok, here are my thoughts from Sunday:

Series: "Road Signs"

Title: "Where Ya Headed?"

Thought (Bottom Line): Your Direction, not your Intention, determines your Destination.

This past Sunday I communicated during our main services at 8:30 AM and 10:15 AM. Our Lead Pastor, Paul Smith was out of town on vacation. Overall, the felt like the service went good. We produced a video that intro the theme of the talk and it was GREAT. We coupled that video with a "banter" between myself (in a comedic host role) and Ralph Yoder (in a credible host role), and I really felt like that set up the service to be fun and "new". Our goal was to really push hard to create an "AH-HA" moment for everyone that attended RiverTown on Sunday, and I really feel like was did that. My only "ummm" thought would be about my talks. During 1st service I really pulled away from my script and "taught the principle" and, as a communicator, that's uncomfortable - it feels to "loose" (I mean, there's a reason you script, you want it to be tight). But after I finished, the feedback was incredible - everyone loved it. My wife even said it was the best I've ever done - WOW! For a talk that I thought was too loose and jumbled, it seems to really hit the mark. On the down side, I knew I couldn't recreate that talk again in 2nd service (that the real reason for scripting in the first place - consistency). So I went back to my notes and looked through them and tried to go after it again in 2nd service. During that service, I came across more "scripted" and "on-point" (which felt good) but the feedback I got said that it was good but not as good as 1st service, that it didn't "flow" like 1st service did. I was really worried about it until, I was pulled aside by some close friends of mine, who serve with me in Student Ministries. They began to tell me (while physically shaking) that, what I had shared during that service was exactly what God had spoke to them that led them back to church after a amazingly traumatic life. So, regardless of what I had previously thought - I really think God was confirming to me that I still obeyed and lives were touched. I guess, to narrow it down, communicating is TOUGH. When you "feel" good about it it comes across one way and when you "feel" so-so about it it come across great - WEIRD! But, all in all, even though both services were definitely different, I really believe that God touched hearts and lives were challenged and changed.

"Wins" : There were 3 salvation commitments, 2 baptism inquiries, and a couple inquiries to join a LIFE Group!

No comments: